Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Remembering Megalosaurus

Remember way back when I did all those posts about Troodons? Well, it wasn't foreshadowing for Mesozoica, but rather me being fascinated that those things may have actually had a degree of consciousness. I don't know if Troodons will be in Mesozoica, maybe is all I can say. On the new forum which is now up, where I urge all you guys to sign up, there is a dinosaur masterlist. While the list was not started by me, it was updated by me. Anyways though, I don't want to say anything that may contradict my earlier posts on Troodons but I did make one point that I believe was prevalent through that chain of posts about them is that we can never truly know for sure how they were. Look, I made an idea that velociraptors could have been nano scientists. They probably were not, but that was over 65 million years ago, so even if they weren't, how do we know for sure? Look, for some dinosaurs, like Megalosaurus, who were known to have gone extinct before the meteorite hit, it is pretty clear. Most dinosaurs we know of didn't even live to an age long enough where they could have reached sentiency. What about the ones in the final gap between meteor and life? I don't know, maybe Troodons? Then again, why would they need to, I mean look at the saltwater crocodile. Unchanged for 95 million years, it is the perfect predator.

Megalosaurus on the other hand is gone, and it was gone long before most other dinosaurs. Unlike T-Rex and Spinosaurus, Megalosaurus actually lived in the Jurassic Era and was long gone by the time velociraptors and such came around. When scientists first found Megalosaurus, the name that got accepted for it literally meant ballsack. So, fairly humiliating history? No. No matter what, Megalosaurus was the first one we identified as a dinosaur. Yes, Iguanodon was found earlier, but it was the classification of Megalosaurus that resulted in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writing about it as the main antagonist of The Lost World, silently stalking Ed Malone. Then comes everything after.

Again, even though I'm in charge of the quests and such, I don't know that much about which dinosaurs will be in Mesozoica. Hell, the very presence of Allosaurus kind of invalidates Megalosaurus. Nonetheless, Megalosaurus is one dinosaur, which if not included, will be given some special treatment by way of my quests. It is important to remember where we come from, is what I'm trying to say. Look, scientists find Troodons infinitely more amazing than Megalosaurus because of the implications they pose. Despite all of those implications, we will never be able to get a 100% on Troodon unless we find gene fragments, which we probably won't. Look at Spinosaurus, we now know that it was a quadruped on land, even though it likely stood up biped. There is so much we will find out about Troodons in the future, but the reason why? Megalosaurus.

No comments:

Post a Comment