Sunday, November 3, 2013

Improvements the Blackgate Sequel Needs

Now, yesterday in my review of Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate I mentioned that while it is not a very good game, it is one with potential. I was pretty vague with all my details, so, I decided that I should probably elaborate. So, here are what a sequel needs, since Armature will definatley be developing the companion to the Rocksteady game coming out in a year or two.
Next film is Batman: Aflred Begins

* Updated Combat System - Given the game's target system, it was necessary for the combat system to be built from the ground up. Not a bad thing at all, in fact, it actually made the game feel less like a companion. However, for every five moves available in Arkham Asylum, only one is featured in Blackgate. Should that number become higher, the game will instantly look better. Now I like punch, kick and all the finite takedowns as much as the next guy, but when the number cannot beat the first game, it really is not worth it that much. So, should the combat system feature several more attacks, the game will become not only more visually appealing, but also give the player a far larger desire to actually do combos.
I don't know who this is and I'm black too...

* More Accessibility - Now, like I said, I haven't played the old Metroid games, and while this style game is fun, it is always lacking. The combat allows Batman to access the foreground and background, while staying in the middle where 2.5D restricts it to be. Now, 2.5D needs to be updated as a genre as a whole and this could be the perfect way to do it. Surprisingly, this is not a bad game, it just is very unfulfilled. So, if in the sequel, the player could use that Vita joystick to walk not just back and forth, but also around and move the camera, it would be great! Not only would the game stay true to it's genre, but also give the player more freedom.
What if...

* Graphics - I explained this point thoroughly in the review, so check that out instead.
Roadhouse.

* Gadgets - Detective Mode may be the only thing this game nailed, making it different from the other games but staying true to it's purpose. What this game did not nail, however, the gadgets. The batagarangs are wholly useless. Give these gadgets a purpose! Make the Batclaw useful again! Explosive Gel is probably the only one you did good! It's a Vita by the way, make the Cryptographic Sequencer worth it!
First time I got captions to fit properly...

And that is what Armature needs to do for a sequel. I'm sure they've got improvements on their mind, but these are necessary updates.
-
MYK

No comments:

Post a Comment