Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review

Let me just say that I heard about the Detective Gordon show called Gotham coming out and I have mixed feelings towards it. Primarily because Fox is making it, not the CW. It's going to be an awkward show for sure. I myself want Arrow and Flash to join up into the DCCU that Man of Steel is starting. The only way this could work is if there is some communication between the CW and Fox, I mean, a Gordon show set as a prequel to Man of Steel II: World's Finest, that could work. Let's just see, though, and I'll keep you all updated.
Yet Superman gets crap for his first go...

Now, onto the review, last night Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. debuted and while the premise was pretty simple, it did give out a few plot teases about the future of the show. I remember an idea that was floating around about AIM being the main bad guys for Phase Two of the MCU, if they are in Winter Soldier, I'll concede, but the way things are going, for the first season of Agents, they seem to be. I like this idea, it makes the show feel a lot more like the early Iron Man movies and stays more in tone with the science aspect and really brings back the coolness of being a spy.

The show's tone is very different from Whedon's previous shows like Buffy, and while the show definitely does rely on the backstory of the Avengers, it can certainly stand out well on it's own. The first episode's premise was a very simple one, but sometimes simplicity stands over deep complexity that really forces us to think. While this got us thinking, it also showed us that heroes don't have to have superpowers or be considered superheroes <<Batman>> to be taken seriously.

The worst drawing of the Hulk ever.


Honestly, the show was very good and is off to a good start while certain characters, aside from Coulson (who I hoped after Iron Man would not be forgotten as an agent), may need to have more establishment... it is a very good show. I hope some plot themes, like this Coulson possibly being a spy, Chitauri technology in the wrong hands and Extremis being used even more will not be the focus of every episode, however. I do want to see some stand alone episodes that show what else S.H.I.E.D. does when not involved with superheroes.

7/10

I will not be reviewing every episode, at most the season premiere and finale.

-
MYK

No comments:

Post a Comment