Sunday, September 13, 2015

Mad Max Reviews Impressions

Yes, I got the new Mad Max game. It is the second series to come out in the gameplay style of Batman: Arkham Asylum, the first being Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. What are my impressions of it? Well I really, really, really like the game. It is very different from those two, but from a gameplay perspective, feels very familiar. Chances are, it will get a sequel. It was released on the same day as Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Both are very good games, except Kojima's last game in that series makes it the end of an era, so obviously it is being hailed as the better game.

Yet, what that resulted in was an initial criticism of Mad Max, many people citing bugs to be the reason it wasn't as good, or the storyline or gameplay. Most of the reviews that lamented these criticisms did not say that it was ever really bad, just that it was not up to par. Since then, some reviews have come to light, one in particular stating "soothing dullness" and only one other calling critics out on their shit by saying "MGSV Completely Overshadowed How Good Mad Max Is". In fact, that is the article that inspired mine right now.

The thing is, that both of these games demand a lot of time from you and releasing them on the same day is a big mistake. You can argue one game as more superior than the other one or enjoy both. However, here is the thing, say you have both games, which do you play first? Which do you spend more time on? They are both lengthy and addictive experiences. I have a friend who told me a person he knows has already logged in 24 hours to Mad Max. So why not have released both weeks apart from each other? Well, maybe Mad Max will have lagging sales in comparison to Kojima's game, but they certainly will be respectable numbers. There is also another positive to this, now people actually know about this property as a video game. Once they finish Kojima's game, they will no doubt be heading over to play this one.

I have not played Kojima's latest game. I've never really been into the Metal Gear series. I've thought that Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance looked cool and thought about picking it up, but I have way too many unfinished games on the PS3 to do that. I have Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, but never bothered finishing it. Maybe I'll go back and do that before I try this one. What I do recommend, though, if you have Kojima's latest production is finish it before you get Mad Max, but get the latter nonetheless because you will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment